Thursday, September 23, 2010

First Update

At the Giant's Causeway, mid-September
i've been journaling in various notebooks, on scraps of paper, and in my head over the past two weeks. I haven't been able to compile them into the compelling story that I'd like to share everyone, so for now, I'll just write a little bit about what I did this morning. (I will post more about my adventures thus far in more detail...later).

This morning my friend Rebecca (who is also a PACS major to some degree) and I met at a coffee shop in town called Cafe Artisan. i didn't think it would be possible to find a replacement for the sanctuary that is Standing Stone Coffee Shop, but this cafe comes pretty close. It's situated in the very center of the town (called the Diamond), right across the street from a music store and down the road from one of the local Peace and Reconciliation Groups. Cafe Artisan has large and lovely windows that let whatever light is available into the storefront. The tables are a bit small, but the window sills are at elbow level and are surprisingly wide; a perfect place to put your laptop so you can eat and do work without the fear of spilling (which is great for me). I had a comforting bowl of tomato soup with an added zing of roasted red peppers....and the best cup of hot chocolate I've had here so far. I think this place is going to become my new homework spot.

It's layout is pretty extensive: there's an entire back room dedicated to a the locals who come play music there on Wednesdays. The stage is impressive for such a small shop, and it's BYOB. In general, this place is quiet, they play great music, and the artwork is really neat. Rebecca--great find!

After brunch, Rebecca and I went across the street to the music store. The guys in the shop were so cheerful and helpful (which seems to be a ubiquitous character trait for most folks around here). Rebecca bought an Irish whistle because she wants to learn how to play a traditional instrument which is so awesome. Maybe I'll pick up a penny whistle too, they're only 5 pound!

Going to do reading for the rest of the day. Here's the list of classes I'm taking this semester:
1) Culture and Identity Politics of Northern Ireland
2) Self, Identity and Conflict
3) Genocide and International Politics
4) The Global Conversation

Should be a wonderful semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment