Thursday, September 30, 2010

Just arrived in London last night to visit my friend Frances.  She had work today so I got to explore London on my own, which was absolutely fabulous.  She lives about a 15 minute walk from the British Museum.  With my maps (one of them hand-drawn by Frances), my books, my camera, and my iPod, I set off to the massive museum.  On the way I stopped in a small shop called L. Cornelissen & Sons, a small store that sells art supplies.  It's an ancient store, with original flooring and thin shelves that line the walls and reach the ceilings.  It was such a beautiful store, and it's been around for so long (circa 1850s) that I felt I really must buy something here.  I had trouble finding practical tools in my price range (I mean, what am I going to do with a 15 pound paintbrush?), but I did come across a 1 pound sketchbook.  I snagged it, immediately, and when I arrived at the British Museum a few blocks later I sketched and journaled in the South African garden in the front of the museum.  What a wonderful way to start the day!

I've scoured the Greco-Roman and Egyptian sections of the British Museum when I was here with my parents three weeks ago, so this time around I devoted my time to the Chinese jade, bronze, and porcelain collections.  I was clearly struck by the intricacy of the work I encountered since I ended up spending about 2.5 hours in one room.  But I was happy to be consumed so easily.  

Next I found my way to the Somerset House, which is broken up into a couple different galleries.  I visited the Courtauld Gallery which houses some of the most beautiful Byzantine, Impressionist, and Post-Impressionist work I have seen.  Each genre has its own floor and the rooms are small and elegant, and quiet.  I arrived with a little more than an hour left before closing, so I enjoyed most of the exhibits alone.  I soaked up all the Monet, Matisse and Van Gogh that I could before I was kicked out (politely) by one of the curators.  

It was the perfect day.  I only got lost once.  My iPod's shuffle mode matched my mood.  And I ended the night with Frances and Reg at Wetherspoons.  Great success.  

1 comment:

  1. Great post Julie! Can you change the font a little though? It's hard to read!

    ReplyDelete